Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Topsail Island Events

July 2009

 

During my stay at Topsail Beach, NC I was able to explore some of the great historical features as well as some very neat attractions on the island!!  I was down with my family, and together we made a visit at the Sea Turtle Hospital, which is a Sea Turtle rescue facility that helps endangered sea turtles on the Atlantic Coast to be rehabilitated and released back into the ocean!  It was an amazing facility and it brings in tourists from all over the eastern seaboard and even lots of tourists from up North!  We also visited the Topsail Island assembly building and Museum, which tells about the Island’s unique history and how it played a part in several wars!  Still, you can see fighter planes on practice runs and in training flying up and down the island and going on the horizon to the Atlantic Ocean!  I have been lucky enough to be a native of TI; I have been going there since I was about 7 years old and have grown up with other TI beach goers!  There is a group of us (neighbors) who call ourselves the TI SOUTHENDERS!  We have had a tradition on the 4th of July every year to have a parade and a big 4th celebration BBQ!!  The Easter family host’s it every year and all of the neighbors pitch in and help out.  This parade started with about 20 people and the grand Marshall leading the parade with a wheelbarrow and a boom box, I am so pleased to say that this year our 4th of July South end parade had over 200 people behind the grand Marshall!!  So, as Miss North Carolina International, I walked in the parade with all my friends and family and even my Yellow Lab Remington (she was also decked out in Red, White, and Blue)!!!  After the parade at 10am, we spent the rest of the day lying out on the beach, the weather was beautiful!   The guys had lots of good luck fishing, so we ate lots of Shrimp!  We got ready and the BBQ kick off was at 5pm with games, I was in the sack race and the egg toss!  I am pleased to say I came in 2nd place out of 3 teams in the sack race, but on the egg toss there were about 20 different pairs of partners and my partner (Tyler) and I came in 3rd place!  I was sooo worried about the egg splattering on my dress that I caught it too high and it splattered my face and hair!!! (Oh NO!)  But it was a lot of fun, thank you Brenda for always making the games soooo much fun for the kids, big kids and adults!!  Miss Lois made the most beautiful 4th of July cake I have ever seen and it was HUGE!!  They also did a great job; the food (as always) was soooo fabulous!  After we ate, and played in corn hole championships we started dancing and singing karaoke till about 1am with about 100 of our closest friends!!   We shagged to some good beach music and Lauren and I sang GOD BLESS THE USA.   We had several young men and women who are dedicated to being a vital part of our Military, one who had been in Iraq, one who is being deployed to Iraq next August for the Army and a Marine who was stationed in Japan for 2 years, that’s just to say only a few of their accomplishments fighting for the United States of America.  I really want to take this time to thank everyone who fights for the freedom of our country and who has fought for the freedom of our country.  We are all so blessed to live in this great land, and we have our soldiers, marines and Air force to thank for their continued service.  I am always so humbled to see their courage and bravery as we continue to fight for our freedom and independence.  So on this Fourth of July among the fireworks, food and fun, I will never forget those who have given us the freedom we have today and those who are still fighting for our freedom.  Their service to our country is heroic, and we can celebrate them, our country and our independence on this day that means so much to our country and our nation’s history!  I am honored and so proud to call America home, and to live in this great land! 

 

Enjoy the pictures from my Trip to Topsail Island and all the good pictures we took celebrating our Independence Day!  Happy 4th of July everyone, I hope it was a safe and blessed holiday! 

 

 

“We also have essential responsibilities here at home, the unfinished work of American freedom. In a world moving toward liberty, we are determined to show the meaning and the promise of liberty. The greatest strength of America is the heart and soul of the American people. Every time a volunteer reaches out to a neighbor in need, our nation grows stronger and more hopeful.”

“We will always remember. We will always be proud. We will always be prepared, so we may always be free.”

 

-President George W. Bush

No comments:

Post a Comment