Monday, February 15, 2010

Jan/Feb. Events

I have had a great month of some amazing events! After ringing in the New Year for 2010, on Jan. 7th in support of my friend Stacey and her goal of raising enough money ($6,000) for Make A Wish Foundation, to fund one wish for a child with life-threatening medical conditions I went to my old high school and spoke on her work for the cause! I went back to Northwest High School to speak about Make A Wish, the school gave her $1.00 from every ticket sold, and we took over $250.00 in donations. Both Stacey and I spoke at halftime on the importance that NWGHS has always placed on giving back to their community, and how volunteering or donating to Make A Wish is an amazing opportunity. Make A Wish continues to do wonderful things for these kids, and Stacey continues her work to reach her goal for being able to grant a wish for one of those kids! On Jan. 9, I traveled to Raleigh with the USO-NC to support the Hurricane's Annual Military Appreciation Game. Over 150 military personnel were recognized for their contributions, by serving our country. I saw many of my favorite USO NC Volunteers and staff, and had a great time! I also was honored to meet leaders and dignitaries from Chili, Canada, Pakistan, Morocco and the Philippines. Of course, as previously posted, on Jan. 17, we honored the service of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. by volunteering in projects all over our country. I helped to promote this day of service by filming a YouTube ad for the Hands On Campaign! Check the website out to find out more on how to volunteer in your area! On the 21st, the Annual Wish Ball was held in Charlotte, NC to raise money for Make A Wish of NC, and I am pleased to say they raised over half a million dollars! On Jan. 27th I went to Northwood Elementary in High Point, and met with my friend Julie in support of Communities in Schools to let the children here know that we all believe in every child. I spoke at an assembly at 9am, with grades 3-5. Then I visited every class in Pre-K, K, 1-2 grades. It was an awesome experience to speak with the kids about what they are doing in school and how important it is to read and learn and work hard to reach your goals and dreams. I explained to them that I have had challenges and I believed in myself and what I was doing for my community so through teaching others the power they have to make a difference I was also able to teach them that anything is possible if you dream it you can achieve it. It was a great message, and I got great hugs and interesting questions. I took this same message to the Kindergarden and 1st grade classes I spoke with on the 29th as I went to Moore Magnet School in Winston Salem, NC! All these students also shared with me how their schools and classrooms are giving back to their communities by bringing in books to donate for third world countries to have libraries and bringing in extra change to donate to the Haiti relief fund. They are making a difference in the lives of people thousands of miles away, and it was such a blessing to hear the amazing volunteer efforts that these children are learning and doing at such an early age! On Feb. 4th I went with my family to the Annual Greensboro Builders Association Awards Presentation. My Dad won the Gulledge award, which was named after a founder of the Association and recognizes outstanding commitment and service to his community. I get my passion for volunteering through the hard work I see him engaging in on a daily basis and how he helps other people all the time, I was extremely proud of him and his dedication to serve. See this link for more information:
http://triadhomes.news-record.com/content/2010/02/12/article/gba_awards_honor_members
On Feb. 5th- we celebrated my Grandfather's Birthday! This was a bittersweet day for us, because it was the National Go Red For Women day, and his wife, my grandmother passed away last year from Heart Disease. So I continue to be an advocate for all women in the fight against heart disease. Ladies- take care of your heart! Eat right, exercise, and take care of the most important muscle in your body! Join the campaign and lets all Go Red for Women!
This is also an organization so close to the International system and family, so thanks to all the International titleholders across the country supporting this cause!
Feb.6th, I traveled to Charlotte again to attend the Miss/Teen/Mrs. SC and NC International Pageant workshop. It is so hard to believe that there is only 2 weeks until I crown the new Miss NC International! These girls that I met in Charlotte better be prepared to work hard, but I wish them all the BEST of luck! What a beautiful, talented, and hard working, (tall too) group of young women! WOW! Joy, our director of the year, did a fabulous job hosting this workshop despite rain, sleet, and snow! After the workshop many of us traveled to visit our great sponsor Jaime, at Reign Fine Apparel! As usual- I found some AMAZING dresses!! YAY!
Feb. 7th, On this SuperBowl Sunday I went to Kernersville to help with a fundraiser in support of Make A Wish Foundation! Thanks to Kristen for all your hard work at this event! It was a great night- and GO SAINTS!!!! The following Wednesday on the 10th, I went back to Goldsboro to speak to the Aktion Club. This club is a part of the Kiwanis Club. The Aktion club is dedicated to working with special needs adults who volunteer and fundraise and give back to their communities. My good friend and special olympics NC athlete, Ryan, is the current President of this club and he invited me to join the group and speak with them about what I had done as Miss NC and my volunteer work. I really commended them for all their amazing volunteer work!! See this article from the News in Goldsboro on the event!
http://www.newsargus.com/news/archives/2010/02/11/miss_nc_tells_club_members_to_work_hard/
On Feb. 13th, I went to Thomasville! It was the NCOLM Pageant in Thomasville and my great friend Leah Shae was competing! She did such a fantastic job, and I am so proud of her! She even set up a Haiti relief fund at her school and is teaching her fellow classmates the importance of giving back- Great Job Leah!

Stay tuned for a picture slideshow of these events and for more events in the my final two weeks as the reigning Miss North Carolina International 2009!

No comments:

Post a Comment