Sunday, October 4, 2009

October 3, 2009

What a big day this was!  Filled with three big events in my hometown of Greensboro, NC!
And it was my sweet dog, Remington's 4th Birthday!  I kicked off the day, bright and early, at 7am at the Women's hospital for the Women's Only Race/Walk for a cure for Breast Cancer!  I was interviewed by News Channel 2 at 7:30am!  I talked about my personal connection to Breast Cancer, friends and family who have had it, passed away or survived from breast cancer.  And as women we need to be aware of breast cancer and the importance for early detection, since the tumor can be in your body for 5 to 8 years before it becomes breast cancer.  My work with FRIENDS has helped me learn a lot about breast cancer and the importance for early detection.  There was over 3,000 women, their husbands and families there to support the event and run for a cure!  It was a great day, with many local celebrities and radio personalities there to help!  The little girl's race started first and then the women's race started at 9am and then awards began.  We honored the survivors and the women there supporting them or their personal connections.  It was a great day for me, and my first time at the walk for a cure!  I have a great month ahead for events supporting Breast Cancer and got some great tshirts and jewelry to support the cause with proceeds benefiting breast cancer research!  Last year this event raised more than 70,000 dollars for mammograms!  After helping with the event I went to Gateway Education Center's Fall Festival!  I went to see all my friends at Gateway, and help them kick off the fall season!  It was a lot of fun!  Thanks to the Gateway PTA for asking me to come!
Then I headed over to the USO Care Packages Relief fundraiser for my new friend Cherie!  
Her husband is in Afghanistan fighting for our country right now, and we need to help him and all the other soldiers fighting for our freedom!  Some men and women don't get any care packages so its important to let them ALL know how much we care and love them and appreciate their service!  So we held signs on Spring Garden Street at Fat Dogs, the restaurant that offered to support this event and donate proceeds!  There is a long list of things they need and monetary donations are acceptable because they will need over $3,000 dollars to ship the 250 care packages just in time for the soldiers to get them for Thanksgiving!  I will have more information to come about the upcoming fundraisers and possibilities to help with the care packages.  I was so honored to be among several former men and women that fought for our country that came to support these efforts for relief packages.  I was so impressed at how strong these women are that put this together and are determined to help any way they can!  So please join me, the USO, and these great people to help them, help their families, and the men and women over sea's fighting for our country!  I will post more information as soon as I get it!  Start thinking of things you can donate, like books, magazines, toothpaste, shampoo, candy anything!  Its hard enough to be away from your family and friends, but we can't imagine the conditions they are living and fighting in every day, so we need to do all we can to help them!  
Thank you so much for your help!!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment