Sunday, March 22, 2009

Big Brothers and Big Sisters Weekend with The Volunteer Center
















I had an exciting week, I officially am a spokesperson with the Volunteer Center of Greensboro and the state of NC to promote my platform of advocating Volunteerism. To top that off, we have established a partnership with the hands on network with is the national affiliate for the 400 Volunteer Centers established nationwide. Under these volunteer centers they help various non-profit organizations, one of which is Big Brothers/Big Sisters. This weekend was full of amazing events and opprotunities with BBBS! I met my little brother who I am matched with, he is in first grade and I look foward to working with him once a week on reading, writing, math and having fun around campus in the computer lab, the library and lunch time! On saturday morning at Gate City Lanes in Greensboro, NC BBBS had their annual "Bowl for the Kids Sake" bowl-a-thon fundraiser. I was asked to be a celebrity bowler for the event, and as it would turn out I wasn't a half bad bowler (it must have been because I knew I was being filmed...I was doing better under pressure!) ha ha! One of the other bowlers was a WFMY News 2 anchor, and he brought the camera crew with him! (you can check out our bowling at http://www.digtriad.com/ and search bowling for the kids sake). I met a lot of new friends, one of which was Jennifer, who was a little sister there, and my bowling partner (seen in the pictures with her big sister Evelyn above). Several local businesses had sponsored lanes and prizes to help the fundraiser and a DJ was there to keep it hoppin'! We had a great time, for a great cause! I look foward to the work I will continue to do with BBBS and know that every match really benefits the child!

No comments:

Post a Comment