Monday, August 10, 2009

Appearances During Nationals that you will see in the pictures.....
We had such a great time as a Group traveling to the Boys and Girls' Club of Chicago and getting to participate in arts and crafts with a lot of the inner city children.  They are doing great things with programs to help these children, we had a great time!  We also we to the Navy Pier and had an Extreme SpeedBoat ride on Lake Michigan!  We had an event at the Skokie Library where we all donated a book to the Library's children's department.  We had countless dinners, lunches and practices together, we had a great and exciting pageant and an unforgettable Coronation Ball!  

Appearances since Nationals..... 
As I returned home as Miss North Carolina International I couldn't have been more proud!  I did a better job than I did at Miss NC and I made so many new friends and a lifetime of memories!  But none the less it was back to work!!!  On Saturday August 1st I went to the Downtown Park in Greensboro on behalf of Big Brothers and Big Sisters for their "Girl Power Event 2009."  It was a fun day for Little Sister's and their "big Sisters" to have together.  While the girls and their mentors ate lunch I was able to talk with them about the importance of following their dreams and never giving up!  I gave them a motivational speech based on the challenges I have faced in all aspects of life and how perseverance and determination can help you soar to success!  They had an afternoon filled with dancing and learning different ways to express themselves, I told them find something you love to do and are good at and just reach for the stars, no dream is ever too big!!!  
On August 3rd, I went to Raleigh/Garner area and helped the USO of NC work with the local YMCA's to stuff 475 bags (in 45 mins I might add) for the troops!  I met several vital USO Volunteers and directors!  I also got to speak with the kids about the importance of the United Service Organization and how important our troops are, and how we need to support them in their continued fight for our freedom.  It was great!  I also got a great tour of the USO office at the RDU HQ!  I met a few soldiers coming in for a break, I saw the facility and learned about the history of the USO!!  Started in the early 40's by FDR, the USO has the longest continuously running office in the world right here in NC- in Jacksonville at the base.  WOW!! Very impressive!  The USO is completely free to soldiers and their families and everyone there made me feel so at home, so I know they do a great job for our young men and women in the service!   I went back out to the USO in Raleigh for their 5th Birthday Party!  They had a big celebration at the General Aviation Terminal at RDU in Raleigh!  I had my USO hat on and enjoyed a great piece of cake!  I met with the President of the USO, who was there for the event!  There were so many tremendous Veterans there who told stories and helped the USO as a volunteer, I can't thank them enough they are not only true American Heroes but also the true meaning of Patriotism.  Again- this event was just full of terrific Volunteers!  Thank you for having me as a guest at such a special day!  Also found out that the USO is moving to the new terminal at RDU in 2011!  
On Friday August 4th I went as a key speaker to the Service Learning Impact Camp for the Volunteer Center!  As a spokesperson for the VC it is always nice to help them with their specific events!  There were so many young kids at this camp that I was able to help them by sharing my stories of volunteering.  I was able to set an example to them of the importance of volunteering!  I made sure they heard some of the emotional stories and the thousands of people I have talked to about volunteering and making a difference!  No act of kindness is too big or too small, everything makes a difference if it is helping the life of someone else.  The Volunteer Center holds this great camp once a year at the end of the summer for students ages 14 to 19 for them to learn about service learning projects: this year was the project of ending hunger.  The volunteer center in Greensboro alone (8 total in NC) works with over 174 non profit organizations, when you look at the bigger picture with the 400 action centers nationwide and 12 in international communities then you can really see how the thousands of non profits can benefit from the millions of volunteers answering the call to service each year!  These kids did a great job all week and it was pleasure to speak to them on behalf of the great strides being made by the Volunteer Center!
I am also having the privilege of making special bags to send to Iraq for 12 young men and women!  I am so excited and with the help of my Aunt and Grandpa I was able to put some really great stuff and some sweet notes in there to let them know how much we appreciate their dedication to the United States Military!  Stay tuned for more on that each week!  
On Saturday I went to the Greensboro Coliseum for Market America's International Convention.  They had a different non-profit there everyday of their 3 day event, catering to a whopping 20,000 people!  I went to help Make-A-Wish foundation! I spoke on behalf on MAW and the importance of their donations!  We were able to raise $1,200 dollars in small donations by the people at MA Cares and that will go towards making a wish come true for a child with a life threatening illness.  It is a miraculous organization with great volunteers and wish families that I saw and spent that day with at the coliseum complex!  Together we had a terrific Saturday for a great cause!  Thank you for all of your support of this foundation!
Got another busy week ahead of me!! Stay Tuned for more events and pictures from last week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment