Sunday, June 14, 2009

Special Olympics North Carolina Summer Games

President’s Reception and Opening Ceremony & Dance

Raleigh, NC

June 5, 2009 starting at 5:30PM

 

I traveled to Raleigh, NC to kick off the Special Olympics Summer Games!  I had a special invitation to join the President of SONC at his dinner before the opening games at St. Mary’s school in Raleigh!  Then we went to NCSU and Dorton Arena to the opening ceremonies and the end of the torch run!  I greeted the athletes as the entered the arena, and I walked the opening ceremony with the Guilford-Greensboro Group of the other 100+ groups and 1,200+ athletes!  I walked in with the athletes, their families and friends and then continued to greet all of the amazing athletes who came in after my group!  The ceremony began with an athlete doing a breath-taking performance of the National Anthem!  The torch was then carried in by NC Law Enforcement Officers who had collectively raised $1.2 Million dollars towards SONC from the torch run events across the state!  The whole event was dependent on volunteers!  A huge thank you to the hundreds of volunteers who helped make the Summer Games possible, you all were truly amazing!  The lighting of the torch completed the ceremony, then all of the athletes and their guests, moved across the complex to attend the dance-the final part of the opening ceremony!  I was pleased to be working with Miss Teen NC USA, Scarlett Howell, at the event!  At the dance, I made a short video clip for SONC to give as a thank you to their sponsors for doing a wonderful job!  I met so many athletes and took lots and lots of pictures!  I did get a chance to speak with Keith, the President of SONC before I left to head back to Greensboro!  I had the best time! Enjoy all the great pictures from this event on my slideshow! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment