Tuesday, April 7, 2009

FRIDAY with THE SPECIAL OLYMPICS!
















Special Olympics Spring Games Friday 4/3/2009

All the rain cleared up for a beautiful day at the American Hebrew Academy for the Special Olympics Spring Games of 2009. I went out Friday morning for the games and met so many wonderful new friends who were all competing for the Gold! I was joined by about 2000 others who came to support my new friends in their quests! Opening Ceremony began at 9am till about 1pm that afternoon! The opening ceremony began with carrying the torch, and then the games began! It was amazing, and I heard some wonderful stories about how my new friends had trained for this event and were so excited to compete! I watched them compete and I watched them succeed and I watched them get awarded with their medals! It was one of the most rewarding moments I have ever experienced, and I am trilled to have the Special Olympics of Greensboro and the students at Gateway as a part of the non-profits I support through the Volunteer Center! It is amazing the numbers of children and adults I can reach through the Volunteer Center and I have only been Miss NC for a little over a month! Among my new friends were a few of very special friends I met and spoke with: Krae and his family; Daniel; Dusty and his sister Jennifer; Amed; Christian and Ed. I also got to meet Cheryl Clark who is the director of the Greensboro, Guilford Program! It was fantastic to finally put a face with the person on the phone! I was asked to attend the state games in Raleigh this summer and I cannot wait!

Oyster Roast 2009 Greensboro, NC
4/3/09
Friday night, I took a date and attended the Oyster Roast for Children’s and Family Services as a corporate host. There was a band, a thousand people or so, and a lot of oysters! All the proceeds from the hosts and the corporate sponsors contributed a lot to this organization. And as a spokesperson for the Volunteer Center it was a great opportunity to be a part of and contribute to such a great cause!

No comments:

Post a Comment