Wednesday, April 1, 2009

**THE HUMAN RACE**
















3/28/2009 The Human Race

The 15th Annual Human Race for the Volunteer Center started early this morning at 8:30am! Despite the weather, about 3500 people showed up to walk in support for their non-profit organization!!! As a spokesperson for the Volunteer Center I was there to help start the race, and help people if they needed it!! The runners started the race, then all the non-profits from A to Z then the walkers then the dogs!! The Aycock Middle School marching band started off our race! I stood at the finish line and cheered on everyone, the first place winner happened to be a student from UNCG! The after party was in the Gym at Grimsley High School, till noon! They had food by Ruth’s Chris, as well as papa john’s pizza, hot dogs, krispy crème doughnuts and Starbucks coffee! It was great! I saw Katie Godfrey, Mrs. Piedmont Triad was there with her precious daughter! I was introduced to speak on behalf of the Volunteer Centers, to speak about my platform and my work with the Volunteer Center! I spoke briefly, and then stood up with 2 of the big sponsors of the event: 107.5 kzl’s Josie and Fox 8’s Julie Luck! After the speaking, the Band Wishful Thinking was performing and I had a great time dancing with all of the kids from Gateway Education Center (a participating non-profit)! My favorite was Devon, and we danced together a lot, and he was a great dancer! At the end of the race, with money still coming in, the Volunteer Center and the Human Race (which is the biggest annual event the Centers have), they had made over $160,000 for the 107 participating non-profits! WOW!!! It was an amazing event!

No comments:

Post a Comment