Wednesday, May 20, 2009

BBBS




May 14, 2009
Big Brothers and Big Sisters Luncheon
12-1pm
As one of the biggest non profits with the Volunteer Center, Big Brothers and Big Sisters has a wonderful program helped match mentors and build relationships to help make a difference in the lives of children! My Mom and I attended their luncheon fundraiser at Christ United Methodist Church in Greensboro, NC! They had a lunch prepared for us, and a program with certain “bigs” and “littles” who shared their stories! At the beginning of the program the director of Youth Focus honored me for my participation and work with the program, which meant so much to me! I sat at the front table with the Volunteer Match Coordinator, her family, and the Principal and Social worker at the school that I go to when I work with my class based program and my “little brother.” But hearing the stories of the children and adults who have been touched by this program was so amazing! We heard from a community based match that has been together for over 20 years! WOW!!! The little said that “his friend, and mentor” put food on the table when his mother couldn’t, always bought him a backpack, was there for him when no one else was, and even gave him a job to help him support his family. I saw some friends of mine I met at the “celebrity bowl a thon” a while back, and it was wonderful to talk to them and catch up! Hearing everything that this program continues to do for children and the way it helps the mentors and changes them in the process is an incredible thing to be a part of and witness! I think we all needed tissues, there was not a dry eye in the whole place after hearing what a difference these people are making! They are heroes in the community!

No comments:

Post a Comment