Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Retirement Community Thank You with the Volunteer Center







Wednesday April 29, 2009
Abbottswood Retirement Community Volunteer Appreciation Day
2pm

As a spokesperson for the Volunteer Center, which is a United Way partner agency I was asked to attend and speak at a special reception honoring Volunteers at a retirement community! There was a big turnout and I was amazed to find out that all of the older men and women there were still volunteering around the community to give back and stay active! It was so great to hear that through programs like Adult Enrichment Center, these men and women were going into the community and sitting with patients and helping families a few times a week who are helping their loved ones who have a terminal or life threatening illness. There were so many different volunteer opportunities that each and every one of those people I was speaking to had participated in. The great thing was that it wasn’t just volunteering, it was relationship building. So, when I spoke to them, I really wanted to not only share my story of why volunteering is so important to me, I wanted to thank them for being such amazing volunteers! I am continuously blessed to hear the stories of volunteers all over our communities who are helping make a difference and changing a life for the better and in turn are being changed as well. I spoke with a few of the Abbottswood residents on their community service, and it was an inspiration to be a part of and hear their stories, more importantly to be able to thank them for inspiring others to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment